Thursday, May 1, 2014

Exp_02_01

Subject_02_Idea & Test

At second, I will modify with chair or stool for one person. To be precise, the object is chair cover. I will wrap the chair and make shape-shifting. The function (controlling the lightness) gives shape-shifting in previous prototype , while the simple outlook change will give shape-shifting directly. Always my goal is making new perspective or motivation in usual things via new modification.

The wrapped shell moves like a creature in idle status, and reacts to approaching human. The reaction will be shrinking and revealing inside something. In this situation, the something is small chair for one person.

Idea diagram

So, I have to choose about what is the represent action of usual creature. Again, breathing like a previous prototype. But this time, I will try another mechanical method for prototype movements. The PC fan using PWM signal is used in this prototype. This mechanical technic can give feeling like a real human's breathing. I worried about it can be little noisy, but this is simple and best way for expression this concept.

This PWM PC fan has possibility for connecting with kinect signal and vvvv via arduino. So I test the small movements with one fan at first, and then I will test two fans  for making inhaling and exhaling like human's breathing.

120mm pc fan

Circuit

Actually, I start with this 120mm fan. But I do not know that the big fan has small RPM and small difference in RPM control. So, I refund these fan, and buy another small 60mm pam fan. This fan has broad variation in RPM control (1800~5800rpm). So, I can use any situation and express more natural movement.

60mm pwm fan

4pin for pwm control

Preparation

 Voltage test

AC/DC Converter

Each the pam fan has 0.25A in activated, and the voltage is 12V. So, I test with AC/DC converter for 12V and 10A at first. But in this test the pwm signal is very unstable, so I can not use whole 6pins. Normally, the arduino uno version has 6PWM pins, but in this case 2pins are not working. So, I decide to use two arduino board in one signal in vvvv. At first, I test the small movements with one fan at first, and then I will test two fans  for making inhaling and exhaling like human's breathing.

Circuit

4fans test

inhaling and exhaling 

Circuit

8fans test

In this experiment, I use the vvvv and firmata with arduino the all signal control. These are basic node for making signals(wave, repeat, cross) and short test movie.

Wave

Cross

Repeat

 
Test movie